Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Maybe Medical School

Among other life-changing choices I am considering, going to medical school has come up. Admittedly, this is because Kasey mentioned Garrett is considering that, but I could go to medical school maybe. I am a smart girl. (ironically, I just misspelled almost every word in that last sentence, but not for lack or intelligence, more lack of typing ability). Naturally when considerring medical school I would check into my alma mater, the University of Florida, Go Gators.

I am not arrogant enough to believe that I am prepared to go to medical school at this time, having been out of the education lifestyle for 6-ish years. I just figured I could hop on the UF website, click medical school, see admissions requirements, and get started sending junk in. UMMM NO.  I started looking into it today (having decided yesterday, so [yay!]  for enthusiasm).  First of all finding a website, or link, or hint toward where to begin was really hard. I am sure it wasn't really, but I don't think today was the day for me to start looking. I am in a cranky, give-uppy kind of mood; like stressed and lazy. So eventually I found something, but the more I looked the more frustrated and discouraged I got.

When I was in college, I made a decision not to try for medical school. I didn't really want to be a doctor. I like lab work, and not dealing with people, only microscopes and microscopic organisms. It is not like I never considered so the opportunity passed me by, but I intentionally decided against it. I don't know what has changed my mind exactly, but I think being a doctor would be cool. I like sciences and medicine and problem solving. I am a good student; Specifically that is what I am good at: studying and testing, and from time to time applying my skills and knowlege. These websites and links suggest that I should have been taking classes and workshops and making a portfolio since my second year of college. Well, needless to say, I do not have even a tenth of what I need.  I figured I could present my transcripts, take the MCAT, work on financial aid and be ready for the 2011 class year. No, No, No not even close. I need letter of recommendation (ok, didn't think of it, but expected), maybe a higher GPA would be good, like 3.5 (sure, but not a lot I can do about it) atleast 3 more crazy hard classes: organic chem, biochem, and molecular biology (should have expected, but didn't). That's just the beginning. It  looks like if I really wnat to try for Med School it will be a little while and I have to go back for a few classes and prepare. We'll just have to see how much I want this and how for I will go to get it.

So maybe if I get in, it will be when Garrett starts and he can go to UF too and the Strongs can be my neighbors. But I am doing it for me, (if I do it I mean)  to be a doctor for me, not just to live by my sister, but it would be nice.

1 comment:

Kasey Strong said...

How fun! I didn't know you were considering this and I think that's great. Yes, I also learned that among several pre-reqs, Garrett needs to prepare by volunteering (and preferably having a leadership role in the volunteer organization and other areas), shadow a doctor (I don't know the details about this yet), and get involved in some research. That's just what I know of right now. I don't know if all that stuff is required though or just a good idea. Just thought I'd share though. And it would be so fun to be neighbors!