Sunday, April 11, 2010

The ending of an Era sort of

Last August (2009) I was watching The O.C. on the Soap Network because we had it free for a month on a promotional basis. Well I had gotten to a point somewhere near when I stopped watching it originally, like when it had been New, on weekly (or whatever airing schedule it had) and I was really interested to find out how it all came out. I knew from tabloids that Misha Barton left the show (why? I don't have a clue) Anyway the promotion ended. I looked everywhere for this stinkin show. I found it on a Japanese website with Japanese subtitles and English spoken dialog, All the little episode captions were in Japanese. I thought it was funny how much trouble I went through to follow through with these guys.

SPOILER ALERT IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT BUT WANT TO

So it's like the third season. Marissa and Ryan were dating I think, yeah I don't remember what happened in what season. At the end of the third season Marissa dies in a car accident in Ryans arms. The fourth season starts and everyone in the family, but the show for that matter is split up in some way. Ryan doesn't live with his family, Summer is at college and all tree-hugger, Seth is at home or something but not in college, Marissa's sister, Kaitlin, is back from prep school, Taylor Townsend is back from "abroad" Paris, I think....

Ok well I watch this very awesome season, like the best of the four and I got so attached and involved in all their fake lives. By the end I am so happy that Taylor and Ryan decide to work it out, and the Cohens get their house in Berkley, and have the baby (Sandy and Kirsten)and the wedding there (Julie and Ryan's dad Frank's wedding) and it's all so happy and wrapped up. And then nothing. I mean it was the series finale. For days or maybe even weeks I pined over these fake characters who have been off the air for like 5 years or more by then.

Oh, I was so sad and pathetic, you have no idea. Who gets all emotionally involved with their tv shows? I still think about them from time to time. I may even buy the 4th season (only because I liked the others, but loved the 4th). I just worry that ending the show repeatedly will have a negative effect on me. I can't express in words how heartbroken I was, or what it felt like. SoooSooo sad, but dreary-er. Anyway. I just thought about it again and decided to share my heartbreak at the ending of my favorite season of a show I cared about kind of for around 8-ish years I think. I know it may seem like just another show, and honestly it was for the other seasons, but I miss Ryan and Taylor adn the Cohens and happy endings.  How silly that I care, but I still do.

1 comment:

Kasey Strong said...

I used to watch that show. I stopped because it started getting weird. And I have no idea what I thought was weird anymore, but that's what happened. I watch "Lost." I love it. And we're watching the 5th season right now which is the second to last season ever. Only the sixth is still airing on tv so I really hope that they start putting the episodes online soon so that we don't have to wait till the show's over to know how everything ends. I get really involved in tv show characters' lives too. Garrett was Team Sawyer and I was Team Jack. That's all I'll say in case you ever decide to watch it.